Thursday, 3 January 2013

New Year, new start?

It's that time of year isn't it.  The time when we are encouraged to make resolutions for improvement over the next twelve months.

Whilst I do feel a sense of reflection on the year that has passed and a feeling of another year bringing with it a fresh new chapter, I'm not fully onboard with the "let's get healthy/fit/more intellectual/more skilled/more cultural".  More more more more more!  Unless of course it's less.   Less food. Less alchohol.  Less telly. Less lounging.  Less of the things you enjoy one might say.  I'm all for a sense of regrouping but I'm not ready to resolve that 'less is more' or, 'more is less'.  As it were.

I'm not the only one it would seem.  Increasingly, rather than referring  to 'New Year resolutions', which can be perceived as unrealistic and all too often, short lived, there is instead reference to 'intentions', 'goals', 'aims'.

I'm not convinced this mild dilution of resolving goes far enough for me.  I don't think the cold grey days of January are quite the thing to encourage me to even 'aim' to eat less and exercise more.  I'm preferring the idea of continuing for a little longer with the hibernation of Winter, fueled by comforting stews washed down by a glass of red. Of getting wrapped up warm for a gentle stroll. Of more evenings snuggled up in front of the fire watching TV.

I'm thinking of this as making peace with January rather than fighting against it.   As a way of slowly gathering myself and building up energy stores for the awakening of Spring in the months ahead. 

How about you?  Are you a New Year resolution maker this year? 

2 comments:

  1. Nope, no resolutions here either...although I can't go on eating the way I have over Xmas! I'd have nothing left to wear out that would fit me come February ;) Happy new year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the eating front lovely lady...far too much chocolate and cake has been consumed of late resulting in that horrid 'jeans too tight even when I'm sucking everything in to the point of hardly breathing' feeling!! I hope the New Year is full of laughter and happiness for you. Jx

    ReplyDelete