Monday, 30 July 2012

Letter to The Baby on his first birthday

Hello Baby,

Today is your first birthday.  Wow.  A whole year since you arrived safely into this world.    Before that day, when you were growing inside me, I made you a promise.  I promised you that no matter what, I would love you and look after you.  That I would do all that I could to put a smile on your face each and every day for as long as you will let me.

What I didn’t tell you was about my concern.  I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to love you as much as I love your older brother.  You see, I couldn’t imagine how I could feel about another human being the way that I feel about him. 

And then you arrived.  And you weren’t exactly how I imagined you would be. You had more hair than I had expected. Very dark hair that framed your crumpled little face, your perfect little button nose and those crinkly eyes that searched my face trying to make sense of what was going on.

I loved you instantly and my priority was to protect you and keep you safe. But nevertheless, I needed to get to know you.  Just as I had got to know your brother all those years before.  In those early days me and your Dad would spend what seemed like hours just looking at you and marvelling at how very clever we were to have made you.  We would wonder what you would be like as your personality began to reveal itself.  Your brother would cuddle you and ask when you would start to talk and play.

And now, here we are.   It feels as if we have all worked each other out a bit. From those first gummy smiles of yours to the cheeky chuckles and cuddles you now reward us with.  You have just learnt how to kiss and you make us laugh as you fix your open mouth upon our cheeks before smiling proudly at your achievement.  You can clap and wave.  You are almost walking having attempted your first tentative steps.  You have recently discovered the delights of homemade cake which make the mashed up foods of the past seem far less appealing.

My heart is so full of love for you that I feel as if I could burst.  I love you every bit as much as I love your brother - in the same, and yet different, way.  I look on in wonder as I see the two of you together, the bond between two brothers getting stronger as each day goes by.

When we are all together, your Dad, your brother, you and me I feel as if we are invincible.  As you move in to your second year of life my gorgeous boy, know that you are loved as much as any child could be loved.  You are surrounded by a family and friends who will look after you and guide you.  Who will have fun with you and who will always try to put a smile upon your face.

Happy birthday Baby.  Today you become The One Year Old.

Love from
Mummy
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment