Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Old bones


She couldn't pinpoint when it had started.  She suspected it had been going on for a long time before she had become aware of its existence.  It seemed to have crept up on her slowly.  Insidiously.  Stealing away from her, the ease of movement she had previously taken for granted. 

Subtly twisting and knotting the bones at their joints.  The arthritis was invading her.  Taking away her freedom.  Freedom to enjoy her life in quite the same way she had before.  The pain, she could cope with.  The slowing effect on her body, she hated.

It made her feel old.

_____________________________

This weeks '100 word challenge' prompt was this photo:-




It is a photo of old bones - an exhibit in the National Museum of Scotland in their ‘prehistoric’ section.

Don't forget to hop on over to 'Julia's Place' to see more entries.

14 comments:

  1. How sad. It must be so frustrating that moment when you realise your body doesn't do what it's supposed to do anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...very much so. I guess in one way or another it happens to most of us.

      Delete
  2. That was very sad, but very true for any sufferer of arthritis ... my late grandmothet had it - it made her fingers curled and unmoveable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my Mum (an arthritis sufferer) in mind when I wrote the piece... Thank you for your reading and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. the first paragraph was wide open with possibility and you narrowed it so effectively in the second. I am sorry it's creeping up on her, invading. easy to connect with; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  4. Aww what a sad piece. Very well written. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done. I'm beginning to know the feeling Already my mind outstrips my physical capacity and I'm only 43.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 40 I'm beginning to feel it too...although with my current lack of enthusiasm for exercise I can't really complain too loudly! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, this speaks to me on so many levels. What a unique and interesting take on the prompt. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave such a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, those bones look as dry as my own bones sometimes feel. An original take on the prompt - nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Lorraine, I also enjoyed how the first paragraph could lead in to a number of scenarios. Really well written.

    ReplyDelete