Thursday, 8 March 2012

The other woman

For the past year there has been another woman in The Eight Year Old's life.  He talks about her often.  He spends almost as much time with her as he does with me.  They go on day trips and holidays together, she cooks for him, helps him with his homework, they talk about stuff.  She plays a major role in his life.  He likes her a lot.

I've never met this woman. We've spoken on the phone a few times though.  She seems nice.  Sensible, but fun. A good influence.

For years, I've wondered how I would respond when the day came along that The Eight Year Old's Dad met someone who he would have a serious relationship with.  Someone who would live with my son during the times he is away from me.  How would I feel?  Would I be jealous? Would I feel threatened?

As it turns out, I feel relieved.  Relieved that my son likes this woman as much as he does.  I'm glad that she's having a positive effect on both The Eight Year Old, and his Dad, who now appears to be happier than I've seen him in a long time.  We're now on an even playing field - both of us have moved on with our lives and are happily settled.  And we all form part of The Eight Year Old's family.  A family who love him deeply and who work together to make him happy in life.

So does it bother me that this other woman speaks French fluently, can play the clarinet and is more than ten years younger than my good self?  C'est le vie ;)

2 comments:

  1. Bless you, your so grounded and cope with it all so well! And anyway who wants to play the clarinet, when you can bake! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's lovely how you can look at it in that way and so much better for your son. It must be hard though! I don't know if I would be able to deal with it as well as you! Thanks for linking up to Love All Blogs, Jess x

    ReplyDelete