Tuesday, 6 March 2012

In the light of now

This is part of the "Art I Heart" link up over at Midlife Singlemum blog. 

Aplogies to Midlife Singlemum before I say this but to be completely honest I cringe a little bit at the use of 'heart" instead of love - whenever it used, not just in this instance.  I'm not sure why but it's one of those things that makes my toes curl up a little.  However, on this occasion I choose to overlook my toe curling because I really like the idea of sharing, in the words of Midlife Singlemum, "the art you love from your walls, a birthday card, what your child drew at school, that you saw in The National Gallery in London..." 

I really like the bredth of the notion of what art is rather than being all 'sniffy sniffy' about it as can often be the way in the art world - or at least it seems to be the way in some of the glimses of the art world I've encountered.  Also, the walls of our home are heaving with works of art with personal meaning attached so how lovely to now have the perfect excuse to share some of them. 

I'm starting off with this...


A painting entitled ' In the light of now'    .  I bought it - at a heavily discounted rate :) - from ny beautiful and talented friend Sara Davies (formerly Sara Pirie).   It currently hangs in the living room of my home.  I am told it is inspired by a photograph of that captures a moment in time when  a string of lights 'danced' against the backdrop of the sea. 

I love being by the sea and this painting transports me to a deserted night time beach each time I look at it.  It is quite a dark, moody piece with a haunting quality about it.  There is a lighter side to it though, it also reminds of my friend and of the time when I selected this painting (from a whole collectio) to buy.  It was, to say the least, under ridiculous circumstances.  My friend was taking part in an exhibition of local artists and I had agreed to go along to help her to set up in the hall of small local surburban theatre. 

We arrived on the evening before the exhibition opened.  All other artists had already been and gone.  It was a wet and windy halloween a few years ago.  As we drove along the dark and winding driveway to the theatre we laughed nervously about how spooky it all felt.  We weren't entirely sure about where we were heading.  We needed to park up around the back of the hall and locate the caretakers house in an adjacent buliding in order to get the key to give us access to the exhibition space.   Realising we had gone too far into the darkness and now appeared to be driving through someones garden having left the driveway in our wake, my friend quickly reversed the car.  A loud scraping sound from beneath the car signalled our swift halt.  We nervously stepped out of the car to investigate.

We had somehow driven onto a lawned area and had mounted the car - weighted down with paintings and easels - onto a  large ornamental rock.  The car was now well and truly stuck.  Oh dear.  A number of possible responses to this situation spring to mind.  the response we went with was hysterical laughter.  After several attempts to dislodge the car we realised we needed assistance and abandoned the vehicle to go in search of the unsuspecting caretaker who we were, by this time, imagining to be some kind of haunted house butler type.  The poor man who returned to the car with us was bemused to say the least.  As he helped me to push the car, with my friend in the drivers seat, off the rock, it really shouldn't have been funny that he slipped on the muddy grass.  As I tried to gather myself to go to his aid, fearing he had twisted his ankle, his only cry of concern was that he'd only bought 'these b****y new shoes' that very same day.  I could tell from the shaking of my friends shoulders that she was now rendered incapable of stopping the laughter, tears were rolling down her face, it was infectious and I felt the familiar uncontrollable laughter building in my stomach demanding to be released.  We quickly thanked the man for helping us off the rock (?!) , apologised for our childish behaviour and scuttled off into the exhibition hall to set up, giggling all the way. 
Soon after, I selected 'In the light of now' to buy.

All of that held within this one painting.  I love the fact that this serious, surreal looking painting also contains (for me) all the fun of the random and ridiculous times I share with my friend - two grown up women who should probably know better but who hopefully never will :)

Don't forget to pop on over to Midlife Singlemum's blog to see more art.

3 comments:

  1. Love it, both the painting and the story behind it. Thank you for joining #ArtIHeart (I only used heart because it rhymes and I know what you mean).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this. Its a lovely piece by the way. Love the baubles of light. Love the story behind this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the painting and the story behind it x

    ReplyDelete