Tuesday, 28 February 2012

To buy or not to buy

Moments into the house viewing I knew I wanted to buy it. Ok, so the roof leaked, the electrics were - at best - questionable, wallpaper hung limply away from the walls, the brown swirly patterned carpets felt sticky underfoot, the kitchen was barely in tact, the bathroom was tired and outdated . But oh...the cornicing, sash windows, high ceilings, wide original doors. I fell in love with the potential. Could I make it work?  Was I up to the challenge? With my heart in my mouth I made the call to the Estate Agent and put in an offer...


This piece was written in response to this weeks 100 word challenge.  The writing prompt is"take a leap of faith".  To find out more about the 100 word challenge ,and to read more entries, head over to Julia's Place.

8 comments:

  1. This has happened to me..houses with "potential" are a weakness of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a risky hobby to have - buying houses with 'potential' :)

      Delete
  2. When you know you know. I'd love to read a follow up a year later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been in the house for three years now. I have a follow-up post in mind, it will be entitled 'The house that Jack built"...

      Delete
  3. I really liked this; that is one great big leap to take but it's great when you can see the potential in something that has been left unloved for a while. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna :) Three years on and it's still a work in progress!

      Delete
  4. Oh God - I know just what you mean! And I did exactly the same! It certainly is a leap of faith. I love the carpets 'sticky underfoot' - how disgusting and descriptive! I'm sure the house doesn't look like that any more - it was calling to you just as mine called me, desperate to be loved!

    Writing from the Edge
    http://lorely-writingfromtheedge.blogspot.com/2012/02/today-is-29th-february.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the 'calling'...I just couldn't say no! I would say in the three years since buying the house, we've had a love-hate relationship!

      Delete